While we are an independent organisation, the School does have its roots in the School of Economic Science in London founded in 1937 by a Scottish MP, Andrew MacLaren.
Initially it was started to “promote the study of the natural laws governing relations in human society, and the study of the laws, customs and practices by which communities are governed largely as a response to the the severe economic depression of the early 1930s. Leadership was subsequently passed to his son, Leon MacLaren, a barrister, who served in that capacity until his death in 1994.
During the late 1950s philosophy became the central subject of study and practice within the School, and in the early 1960s the School made contact with a leading figure of the vedantic tradition in India, Shantananda Saraswati, from whom it received invaluable guidance in the study and practice of philosophy for over 30 years.
While there has never been an expansion plan as such, sister organisations have been established all over the world in response to demand. Each organisation remains administratively and financially independent.
The Wellington School was the first ‘foreign’ offshoot in 1959 and the Auckland School followed in 1960. Both schools continue to maintain a close relationship with the School of Economic Science.