Without knowing what I am and why I am here, life is impossible.
- Leo Tolstoy
School of Philosophy Auckland
Phone: 0800 610 53927 Esplanade Road
PO Box 8433
Thought for the Day
The School of Philosophy (Auckland) shares a Thought for the Day:
Some of the people included in the Daily Quotes are:
- Albert Einstein
- Kahlil Gibran
- Eckhart Tolle
- William Shakespeare
- T.S. Eliot
- Lao Tzu
- The Dalai Lama
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Marcus Aurelius
- Mark Twain
- Mother Teresa
- Meister Eckhart
- St Augustine
- There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Only a life lived in the service of others is worth living.
The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives.
- The ideals that have lighted my way and, time after time, have given me new courage to face life cheerfully have been Kindness, Beauty and Truth.
He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.
- You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.
- Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.
- Remember that love gives nothing but from itself. Love possesses not, nor would it be possessed, for love is sufficient unto love.
- Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too self-ful to seek other than itself.
- The timeless in you is aware of life's timelessness; and knows that yesterday is but today's memory and tomorrow is today's dream.
- Today. It's all there is. The eternal present is the space within which your whole life unfolds, the one factor that remains constant.
- When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realises its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested.
- Being spiritual has nothing to do with what you believe and everything to do with your state of consciousness.
- How do you let go of attachment to things? Don't even try. It's impossible. Attachment to things drops away by itself when you no longer seek to find yourself in them.
- All the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.
- An unexamined life is a life of no account.
- Remember, no human condition is ever permanent; then you will not be overjoyed in good fortune, or too sorrowful in misfortune.
- The uninitiated are those who believe in nothing except what they can grasp in their hands, and who deny the existence of all that is invisible.
- True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.
- Be of good cheer about death and know this as a truth, that no evil can happen to a good man, either in life or after death
- Our doubts are traitors and cause us to miss the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.
- There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
- Who is it that can tell me who I am?
- Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
- How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.
- Humility is the most difficult of all virtues to achieve; nothing dies harder than the desire to think well of self.
- To do the useful thing, to say the courageous thing, to contemplate the beautiful thing: that is enough for one man's life.
- We must not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we began, and to know it for the first time.
- Between the conception and the creation, between the emotion and the response, Falls the shadow.
- And right action is freedom From past and future also.
- Hold on to the centre and make up your mind to rejoice in this paradise called life.
- When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.
- Conquering others requires force. Conquering oneself requires strength
- He who knows others is wise; He who know himself is enlightened.
- To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
- Reason well from the beginning and then there will never be any need to look back with confusion and doubt.
- Follow the three Rs: Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.
- If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- The past is past, and the future is yet to come. That means the future is in your hands - the future entirely depends on the present. That realization gives you a great responsibility.
- When you realize that these emotions are only temporary, that they always pass on like clouds in the sky, you also realize they can ultimately be abandoned.
- A complete man should need no auxiliaries to his personal presence.
- When the act of reflection takes place in the mind, when we look at ourselves in the light of thought, we discover that our life is embosomed in beauty.
- Don't waste yourself in rejection, nor bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good.
- The man who renounces himself, comes to himself.
- To finish the moment, to find the journey's end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom.
- The mind is everything; what you think, you become.
- When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.
- Whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings - that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.
- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
- Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
- Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.
- Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your mind; for the soul is dyed by the thoughts.
- Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
- Adapt yourself to the environment in which your lot has been cast, and show true love to the fellow-mortals with whom destiny has surrounded you.
- Everything that happens happens as it should, and if you observe carefully, you will find this to be so.
- Intelligence highly awakened is intuition, which is the only true guide in life.
- It seems to me that one of the greatest stumbling blocks in this life is this constant struggle to reach, to achieve, to acquire.
- If you begin to understand what you are without trying to change it, then what you are undergoes a transformation.
- Without freedom from the past, there is no freedom at all, because the mind is never new, fresh, innocent.
- Do not think about yourself, but be aware of the thought, emotion, or action that makes you think of yourself.
- Life does not consist mainly - or even largely - of facts and happenings. It consists mainly of the storm of thoughts that are forever blowing across one's mind.
- Habit is habit, and not to be flung out the window by man, but coaxed downstairs, a step at a time.
- It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.
- It may be called the Master Passion, the hunger for self-approval.
- We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again - and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore.
- Justice without love is not justice. Love without justice is not love
- Love is a fruit in season at all times, and within reach of every hand.
- No matter who says what, you should accept it with a smile and do your own work.
- Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls.
- Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.
- People should not worry so much about what they do but rather about what they are.
- God wants nothing of you but the gift of a peaceful heart.
- The now wherein God made the world is as near this time as the now I am speaking in this moment, and the last day is as near this now as was yesterday.
- God is nearer to me than I am to myself; He is just as near to wood and stone, but they do not know it.
- God is not found in the soul by adding anything but by a process of subtraction.
- Patience is the companion of wisdom.
- He who is filled with love is filled with God himself.
- And I entered and beheld with the eye of my soul... the Light Unchangeable... He that knows the Truth, knows what that Light is; and he that knows It, knows Eternity.
- Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation.
- Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.